key aint letting go

Well folks, here is the impossible.  I asked a friend (in town plumber), next time he is by Marvin, get me a couple bearings for my k-50.  Heck, I was expecting $10-$15 each but more like $65 each (needed 2).  After that shock (my mind is in the wrong century).  Now I had to work on taking out the old and installing the new.  I have never seen something like this before, I mean, I've seen these key's and key way's give problems before, but never like this.  Tomorrow I will examine for more damage.

update - I don't know how but every thing is OK?  I pounded the gear and key back into the key way slot, cut off as much key as I could, took a welding stick, grounded it down to fit in the other end of the key way, taped with a hammer / got another 1/4" key exposed, cut it off, taped the rod a little more, cut off some more exposed key, taped a little more, the rest of the key fell out, gear came off, took assembly out of the unit.

update - guess what?  The machine sounds just about the same, a little less but not worth $130 in bearings.